The cover picturing the 1860 Nickwackett Fire Station, now the home of the Rutland Historical Society, serves as an introduction to the Fire Department’s history as written by Dawn D. Hance.
The Rutland Fire Society chartered in 1811 did not become functional until 1830, its original members of the company listed in the opening pages. The complete history of the department is presented from that point onward.
The evolution and growth of the company is accompanied by numerous illustrations including the Washington Engine Company no.2 built in 1857; its four members in full gear; Foreman Litchfield with a hand pumper engine; the Killington steamer the first Vermont steam engine purchased in 1868; the Baxter Hose House built in 1882; the Sheldon Hose House in 1886; and Kingsley Kellog Hannum chief engineer, with additional group pictures.
A final inclusion in this remarkable and vividly detailed article is a listing of eight fire chiefs from 1859 to 1894, and the complete rosters of the eight 1886 Fire Department